|Yeongwol Byeolmaro Observatory (영월 별마로 천문대)|
|VisitKorea does not guarantee the quality of products or services introduced on its site and is not responsible for any direct or indirect losses resulting from use of said products or services.|
|Built on the peak of Mt. Bongnaesan (799.8 meters) in Yeongwol, Byeolmaro is Korea’s largest astronomical observatory. The term ‘Byeolmaro’ combines the words ‘byeol’ (star), ‘ma’ (peak) and ‘ro’ (peaceful). Together, they collectively represent the wish to view stars in a clean and peaceful environment.
The observatory has a total of 11 telescopes, including the nation’s largest telescope with a diameter of 80 centimeters and 10 supplementary telescopes. Inside the building, there is an astronomy gallery, audio & visual material room, and both main and auxiliary observation rooms. Located in a mountainous region in the inland of Gangwon-do, Yeongwol has a clean natural environment free from pollution. As such, it has an annual average of 192 days of clear skies (50%) for star viewing.
* The nation’s largest star observatory
* Located 800 meters above sea level for optimum viewing
* Combine your visit with rafting, caves, or paragliding
* Has the biggest astronomical telescope of 80 centimeters in diameter
* Enjoy the forest, self-control training center, and outdoor stage in the woods
|Oct 13, 2001|
|The observatory is open from 3pm to 11pm in the summer season (May~August), and from 2pm to 10pm in the winter season (September~April). It is closed on Mondays, on major holidays, and on days following minor holidays.|
|1night/2day Experience program (group of 20 or more)|
|The observatory is open from 3pm to 11pm in the summer season (May~August), and from 2pm to 10pm in the winter season (September~April).|
|* Adult (age over 19) 5,000 won / Group (20 people or more) 4,000 won
* Student (age 6-18) 4,000 won / Group (20 people or more) 3,000 won
* Free - Disabled visitors and one assistant, children aged 6 and younger
* Reservation required prior to visiting for groups.
* No group reservations accepted on Friday-Sunday, holidays or during peak season (July-August)
|Astrology projection room, audio-visual room, observation deck and lounge, secondary observatory room, hosting chamber|
|From Yeongwol Bus Terminal or Station take a taxi to Byeolmaro Observatory (별마로 천문대) - about 10km, ride 20~30 min.|